Monday, April 12, 2010

Where the wild things are

This is the music from the ballet version of "Where the wild things are". I've been a fan of the book since I was a kid, even though it terrified me then and still does now, there's something about the illustrations that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. The first time I read it for Isabelle there was sweat running down my spine and I was regretting having brought it into the house - it seems I succeeded in masking my fear though because it was a big favourite of hers for a while.

Anyway it occurred to me that it'd make great source material for a ballet and so I googled "wild things ballet" and it turned out someone had already written one. Bah. It's not exactly what I'd have done, but it is good. Not really what you'd expect kids to be into, given that it's contemporary classical music and therefore kinda discordant and weird-sounding and not exactly singalongable, but it's got lots of rhythmic intrigue and Isabelle digs it

1 comment: